What Is Good Nutrition?
“Good” nutrition can mean many things, but it is important to understand the true value of eating healthy and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. If people know the value of good nutrition, they can take steps to stay healthy now and in the future.
Importance of Good Nutrition
Good nutrition plays a key role in a person’s ability to remain healthy. It also helps people combat the obesity epidemic, a problem that plagues individuals across the United States and around the globe.
Unhealthy eating habits are among the prime factors that contribute to the obesity epidemic. People who maintain a poor diet are more susceptible than healthy eaters to obesity, along with having an increased risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, arthritis, back pain, and other health problems, even shorter lifespans. Ideally, good dietary habits should be established in childhood with parents and guardians setting a good example. Kids who learn the importance of good nutrition are more likely to carry their healthy eating habits into adulthood.
Benefits of Good Nutrition
The benefits of good nutrition include:
- Increased Energy: A diet rich in vitamins, nutrients, and minerals and low in processed and trans fats may help a person stay energized throughout the day.
- Immune System Support: A healthy diet rich in vitamin C, vitamin D, magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, and probiotics helps support the immune system.
- Reduced Risk of Chronic Disease: Good nutrition may lower a person’s risk of becoming overweight or obese, as well as reduce their risk of experiencing osteoarthritis, hypertension, diabetes, and other chronic diseases.
- Enhanced Mental Health: Some studies suggest that a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids may help people guard against depression and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Improved Teeth and Bone Health: A diet that contains high quantities of calcium may help keep the teeth and bones strong and healthy.
- Increased Absorption of Nutrients: Good nutrition promotes better absorption by helping to maintain a healthy G.I. tract and avoiding the damage associated with leaky gut.
Clearly, there is a lot to like about good nutrition. But for many people, maintaining a nutritious diet can be difficult.
Challenges of Good Nutrition
Key challenges of good nutrition include:
- High availability of affordable, high-calorie, non-nutritious foods
- Limited access to nutritious foods, particularly fresh fruits and vegetables
- Nutritional information that can be difficult to understand
Those who understand the challenges associated with good nutrition can address these issues — and take steps to improve their diet and overall health, as well as that of their families.
Tips for Good Nutrition
Some of the best ways to make good nutrition a top priority — every day — include:
- Avoid processed foods, fast foods, and sugary snacks and drinks
- Stay away from artificial sweetners
- Eat fish, lean meats, and other foods rich in protein
- Substitute cakes, cookies, and other sweets with fruits and vegetables
- Get seven to nine hours of sleep each night
- Drink eight, 8-oz. glasses of water daily
- Exercises regularly
- Limit or avoid alcohol and nicotine consumption
Along with the aforementioned tips, it helps to meet with a doctor or registered dietician to discuss the importance of good nutrition. A health professional with an extensive background and training in nutrition can provide tips, recommendations, and insights to help a person reap the benefits of good nutrition.
Does Colostrum Promote Good Nutrition?
Colostrum is an all-natural product produced by mammals in the initial days after giving birth. Nursing mothers give colostrum to their newborns, and it helps promote healthy growth and development. Colostrum also helps jumpstart the newborn’s immune system and with continued breastfeeding, provides a lifetime of health benefits.
Colostrum-LD® is a bovine colostrum supplement that contains growth factors, colostrum polypeptides, vitamins, minerals, and other nutritional components. It may be taken as a nutritional supplement to help improve immune function and lower the risk of leaky gut, a leading cause of chronic and autoimmune disease. People of all ages can benefit from colostrum supplementation.
Learn More About Colostrum-LD®
To learn more about integrating Colostrum-LD® into a healthy diet, please read our blog.