Many costly and time-intensive skin care treatments which claim to slow down the signs of aging are available to consumers. Now, bovine colostrum supplementation may help individuals reduce or eliminate the need for these treatments. Bovine colostrum contains hyaluronic acid, vitamin K2, vitamin D, vitamin C, silica, probiotics, and most importantly, skin growth hormones – all of which have been shown to deliver skin care benefits.
Effects of Aging on the Skin
- Sun, harsh weather, and bad habits may actually make the skin appear older than an individual’s biological age.
- There are many personal factors that may impact how an individual’s skin ages, including lifestyle, diet, and assorted personal habits.
- Over time, the skin can become rougher, slack, more transparent, more fragile, and more easily bruised.
- In addition, an individual may lose fat below the skin in the cheeks, temples, chin, nose, and eyes as he or she grows older, resulting in a “skeletal” appearance.
- Bone loss around the mouth and chin and cartilage loss in the nose also may occur as a person ages.
What You Need to Know About Over-the-Counter Skin Care Products
- Many over-the-counter topical products are available to help people treat aging skin.
- Tretinoin is a popular prescription topical cream in the vitamin A family; it is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treatment of facial wrinkles.
- Moreover, retinol is a common ingredient in over-the-counter anti-aging products; it is in the vitamin A family but lacks the strength of tretinoin.
- Anti-wrinkle creams also are exceedingly popular and may prove to be a cost-effective alternative to cosmetic surgery.
Are Over-the-Counter Skin Care Products Effective?
- Some skin care products contain ingredients that may dry the skin out, such as paraben, phthalates, petrochemicals, sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate, and diazolidinyl urea.
- Natural, organic skin care products are available, but these products may put a major dent in an individual’s budget.
- Many over-the-counter skin care products fail to deliver proven results and may not provide an effective long-term treatment for various skin problems.
What You Need to Know About Cosmetic Skin Care Procedures
- Americans spent more than $15 billion on surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures in 2016, according to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).
- Popular skin care cosmetic procedures include microdermabrasion, facelifts, and eye lifts.
- Most cosmetic procedures are performed by plastic surgeons who are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Minor or non-invasive procedures may be performed by a board-certified dermatologist.
Are Cosmetic Skin Care Procedures Effective?
- Cosmetic surgery may help an individual minimize the signs of aging, but it is not without risk, as is any type of surgery.
- The costs of cosmetic surgery may vary, and in many cases, a single procedure may cost thousands of dollars.
- Like many skin care products, cosmetic skin care procedures offer no guarantees.
Bovine Colostrum for Skin Care: What You Need to Know
- Colostrum is the only known natural source of telomerase that makes DNA younger – literally.
- Telomerase prevents DNA strands from becoming shorter and enables identical, undamaged skin cells to duplicate themselves again and again.
- Colostrum also includes epithelial/epidermal growth factor (EGF) and insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) that repair and regenerate cells.
- EGF and IGF-1 are essential to wound healing, which makes colostrum an important adjunct to the skin’s repair following a surgical cosmetic procedure.
- Let’s not forget about the lactoferrin in colostrum, either.
- Lactoferrin manages the immune response (inflammation) in the skin cells, which means adding lactoferrin supplementation can help a person increase his or her skin’s anti-inflammatory response.
- All this without exposure to additional chemicals, preservatives or additives in a safe superfood.
Maintaining youthful-looking skin is a priority for many men and women, yet skin care products and cosmetic procedures rarely deliver the desired or anticipated results. On the other hand, bovine colostrum supplementation can help a person take an inside-out approach to skin care. Colostrum offers a natural supplement and when taken internally, can help patients address skin problems such as eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, and acne. Sovereign Laboratories also recommends topical application. Powdered Colostrum-LD™ can be mixed with water or coconut oil into a thick paste and applied as a rejuvenating facial mask or mixed with one’s favorite skin crème. Regular colostrum use can help stave off the signs of skin aging, and when an cosemetic procedure is performed, colostrum can help stimulate the healing process. Only Colostrum-LD™ contains verified quantities of the growth hormones necessary for skin healing, the same growth hormones that heal the G.I. lining to prevent intestinal permeability (Leaky Gut Syndrome).