Lactoferrin is a key immune component in bovine colostrum. It represents 6% of the total protein in Colostrum-LD® and offers the potential to deliver unparalleled immune and digestive support.
What Is Lactoferrin?
Lactoferrin is a protein found in both cow (bovine) milk and human milk. The colostrum that mammalian mothers produce after a baby is born contains approximately seven times the amount of lactoferrin found in mature milk, according to WebMD. Colostrum is the first food that a mammalian mother produces after a baby is born, and the lactoferrin in colostrum helps protect a newborn against infections caused by harmful microbes.
Lactoferrin may help bolster your innate immunities, aka the body’s first line of defense against foreign invaders. Research has demonstrated antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties; lactoferrin may help stimulate the white blood cells at the mucous membranes of the digestive tract and reduce the effects of certain bacteria. As a result, lactoferrin may play an important role in the development of beneficial intestinal flora (the microbiome) and the optimization of the immune system.
Lactoferrin help regulate the absorption of iron in the intestine and the delivery of iron to the cells. It is one of the transferrin proteins that transfers iron to the cells and controls the level of free iron in the blood and external secretions. In its role as an iron-binding protein, lactoferrin has the potential to safeguard the body against bacteria by depriving bacteria of essential iron (needed for bacteria to replicate); it also helps to destroy the cell walls of some bacteria.
How Can People Reap the Benefits of Lactoferrin?
Human colostrum has the highest concentration of lactoferrin, followed by human milk, and then cow’s milk. Furthermore, lactoferrin is found throughout the human body in the secretions of the eyes, nose, respiratory tract, and intestine.
Published studies examining lactoferrin as a supplement have shown beneficial effects on immunity and maintaining a healthy level of beneficial bacteria in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
Because lactoferrin has the potential to sequester iron, “bad” gut bacteria are unable to colonize (replicate in large numbers). And when lactoferrin binds to bacteria, viruses, and fungi, it may help to manage their numbers.
Lactoferrin also may be used in conjunction with specific strains of friendly bacteria. Together, lactoferrin and friendly bacteria have been shown to help boost the immune function. Some studies have indicated that the anti-pathogenic benefits of lactoferrin may be enhanced when it is used in combination with probiotics (“friendly bacteria”). Lactoferrin and probiotics together may deliver a synergistic effect that helps to modulate immune responses, alert the white blood cells of harmful microbes, and stabilize colonies of friendly bacteria.
How Can Lactoferrin Help Individuals of All Ages?
The potential benefits of lactoferrin include the following:
- Stimulating the immune system
- Preventing damage related to aging
- Promoting beneficial bacteria in the intestinal tract
- Regulating bacteria, viruses, and fungi (antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal agent)
- Regulating iron metabolism
- Transporting iron as needed into the bloodstream and to the cells
- Acting as an antioxidant
- Transporting vitamin B12 in the body
In addition, lactoferrin may be used to reduce symptoms related to stomach and intestinal ulcers, diarrhea, and hepatitis C. It has been suggested that lactoferrin could potentially play a role in solving global health problems such as iron deficiency and severe diarrhea. Lactoferrin appears to play a role in regulating bone marrow function, and as such, has been used in trials to boost the immune system. In industrial agriculture, lactoferrin has been used to kill bacteria during meat processing. However, more studies are necessary.
Theoretically, just about everyone can benefit by taking supplemental lactoferrin due to the onslaught of environmental pathogens. It may be particularly helpful for anyone with gastrointestinal issues, anemia, or problems with vitamin B12 absorption. Lactoferrin may also be the ideal supplement for people who are lactoferrin-deficient due to dairy avoidance.
Why Should People Consider Colostrum-LD®?
Colostrum-LD® is the only colostrum supplement that is certified to contain a minimum of 1.5% lactoferrin. It also contains immunoglobulins, antibodies, and colostrum polypeptides (aka proline-rich polypeptides, or PRPs) that may help modulate the immune system. Colostrum’s growth factors may help stimulate muscle cell growth and repair, reduce symptoms of leaky gut (intestinal hyperpermeability), slow down cellular aging, and enhance cellular proliferation in damaged or injured tissue.
Other features of Colostrum-LD® include:
- LD Liposomal Delivery™ System: Colostrum-LD® uses a proprietary LD system that allows colostrum to easily dissolve in liquids, bypass digestion in the stomach, and reach tissues and organs at the cellular level for optimal results. The milk and sunflower lipids utilized in Colostrum-LD®’s unique coating increases the bioavailability of the health-enhancing components, thus making it far superior than non-LD colostrum supplements. Without LD, colostrum is rendered ineffective as it passes through the adult digestive tract.
- Safe, Effective Supplement: Colostrum-LD® is non-allergenic and has no side effects. The supplement can be consumed in any quantity and is safe for adults, children, and pets. Sovereign Laboratories obtains its colostrum from pasture-raised Grade A dairy cows that are certified to be healthy and not supplemented with rBST (synthetic growth hormone). Sovereign Laboratories only accepts colostrum after a cow’s first milking and ensures all colostrum is free of antibiotics and hormones for unmatched quality and safety.
- Balances and Improves Natural Immune Function: Colostrum-LD® contains powerful, natural bioactives that assists in balancing immune response. It has the potential to help bring the body back into balance if it suffers an improper immune response due to automimmune conditions or allergies.
- Contributes to Growth and Regeneration of Body Systems: Colostrum-LD® may help stimulate bone, brain, muscle, nervous tissue, and skin cell regeneration. As such, it represents a potential all-natural solution for athletes, seniors, and people of all ages who may need a little extra help increasing lean muscle tone and a more youthful appearance.
Clearly, Colostrum-LD® is a colostrum product unlike any other on the market today. It contains lactoferrin, a powerful protein that offer a number of potential immune and digestive benefits, as well as many other GI- and immune-boosting natural components. Perhaps most important, Colostrum-LD® is the only colostrum product that has been shown in clinical trials to potentially provide assistance for GI, immune, and athletic performance.
For those who want to include lactoferrin and other powerful natural bioactives in their diet, Colostrum-LD® is ideal. The product is safe for people of all ages and easy to incorporate into one’s daily diet. Meanwhile, thanks to Colostrum-LD®, you can enjoy the potential benefits of lactoferrin – and many other reported benefits of colostrum supplementation – every day.This article was brought to you by Sovereign Laboratories, a world leader in the development of liposomal delivery to maximize the bioavailability of our dietary supplements.