Lactoferrin is a key immune component in bovine colostrum, and it represents 6 percent of the total protein in Colostrum-LD™ and helps ensure this supplement can deliver unparalleled immune and digestive support.
What Is Lactoferrin?
Lactoferrin is a protein that is found in both cow milk and human milk. The colostrum that mammalian mothers produce after a baby is born contains approximately seven times the amount of lactoferrin found in mature milk, according to WebMD. Colostrum is the first food that a mammalian mother produces after a baby is born, and the lactoferrin in colostrum helps protect a newborn against infections caused by bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
Lactoferrin plays a key role in the function of the innate immune system, which helps safeguard the body against bacterial, fungal, viral, and other pathogens. Lactoferrin also performs other functions in the body, and these include:
- Support for Iron Homeostasis: Helps regulate iron homeostasis, which ensures the body can maintain steady levels of iron.
- Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Tumor Activity: Helps inhibit inflammation and tumor growth.
- Analgesic Activity: Helps manage the performance of analgesics, drugs that are designed to help the central nervous system control pain.
- Regulation of Bone Metabolism: Helps control bone metabolism, a process that involves the removal of mature bone from the skeleton and formation of new bone tissue.
Lactoferrin also provides antiviral activity that pharmaceutical drugs typically cannot match. It has been shown to help protect individuals against many viruses, including:
- Herpes simplex virus type 1 and type 2
- Human papilloma virus (HPV)
- Polio virus
- HIV and cytomegalovirus
- Hepatitis B and C viruses
- Hanta virus
- Flu virus
- Respiratory syncytial virus
- Sindbis and Semliki Forest viruses
How Does Lactoferrin Work?
Lactoferrin utilizes various mechanisms to attack and destroy viruses. These include:
- Competing against viruses for binding sites on target cells
- Binding directly to structural proteins on viruses, and by doing so, deactivating them
- Interrupting hemagglutination (clumping of red blood cells) that occurs due to the flu virus
- Limiting the activity of viral enzymes that are required for viral replication
- Working in combination with various antiviral drugs
In terms of pathogen activity, lactoferrin delivers consistent support. It has been shown to work against bacteria, fungi, and amebic parasites. At the same time, lactoferrin promotes the growth of Lactobacilli, Bifidobacteria, and other beneficial bacteria and ensures these bacteria can successfully enter the digestive tract.
Other ways that lactoferrin has been shown to perform include:
- Preventing the colonization of Haemophilus influenza, a common cause of ear and respiratory infections in kids
- Destroying gram-negative bacteria such as Salmonella, E. coli, and Vibrio cholera; lactoferrin attaches to a cell wall and eliminates bacteria, which enables lysozymes to enter and destroy cells as needed
- Providing support against fungal infections such as Candida
- Acting as an immunomodulatory and growth stimulator
- Increasing the volume and activity of T and B lymphocytes and natural killer (NK) cells
- Modulating the release of various cytokines, including both pre- and anti-inflammatory varieties
- Driving the maturation of T and B lymphocytes
- Boosting the activity of NK cells and killer T-cells
- Increasing the activity of human polymorphonuclear leukocytes
- Providing a vital growth factor for lymphocytes
Lactoferrin helps bolster innate immunity, aka the body’s first line of defense against foreign invaders. It has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties: lactoferrin stimulates the white blood cells at the mucous membranes of the digestive tract and helps destroy harmful bacteria and viruses. Therefore, lactoferrin plays an important role in the growth and development of intestinal flora and the immune system.
Ultimately, lactoferrin helps regulate the absorption of iron in the intestine and the delivery of iron to the cells. It is one of the transferrin proteins that transfers iron to the cells and controls the level of free iron in the blood and external secretions.
In its role as an iron-binding protein, lactoferrin safeguards the body against bacterial infection. It deprives bacteria of essential iron (needed for bacteria to replicate) and destroys their cell walls.
How Can People Reap the Benefits of Lactoferrin?
Human colostrum has the highest concentration of lactoferrin, followed by human milk, and then cow’s milk. Furthermore, lactoferrin is found throughout the human body in the secretions of the eyes, nose, respiratory tract, and intestine.
Published studies examining lactoferrin as a supplement have shown beneficial effects on immunity and maintaining a healthy level of beneficial bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract. First, lactoferrin sequesters iron so that pathogenic gut bacteria are unable to colonize. And second, lactoferrin binds to bacteria, viruses, and fungi and destroys them on contact.
Lactoferrin also may be used in conjunction with specific strains of friendly bacteria. Together, lactoferrin and friendly bacteria have been shown to help boost the immune function.
Some studies have indicated the benefits of lactoferrin may be enhanced when it is used in combination with probiotics. Lactoferrin and probiotics together may deliver a synergistic effect that helps reduce the risk of chronic inflammation, alert the white blood cells of harmful microbes, and stabilize colonies of friendly bacteria.
The Benefits of Lactoferrin:
There’s a lot to like about lactoferrin, and some of the benefits of lactoferrin include:
- Stimulating the immune system
- Preventing damage related to aging
- Promoting beneficial bacteria in the intestinal tract
- Fighting bacteria, viruses, and fungi (antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal agent)
- Regulating iron metabolism
- Transporting iron as needed into the bloodstream and to the cells
- Acting as an antioxidant
- Transporting vitamin B12 in the body
In addition, lactoferrin is used for treating stomach and intestinal ulcers, diarrhea, and hepatitis C, as well as protecting the body against bacterial and viral infections. It has been suggested that lactoferrin could play a role in solving global health problems such as iron deficiency and severe diarrhea. Lactoferrin appears to play a role in regulating bone marrow function, and as such, has been used to boost the immune system with the goal of preventing cancer. In industrial agriculture, lactoferrin is used to kill bacteria during meat processing.
Just about everyone can benefit from taking lactoferrin due to the onslaught of environmental pathogens. It is especially helpful for anyone with gut-based infections, anemia, or problems with vitamin B12 uptake. Lactoferrin is the ideal supplement for people who are lactoferrin-deficient due to dairy avoidance.
For cancer patients who are undergoing chemotherapy, lactoferrin may provide a supplemental treatment option. It increases a cancer patient’s innate immunity and helps reduce the side effects of chemotherapy.
Furthermore, lactoferrin may help improve bone health. Research indicates lactoferrin can stimulate the activity of osteoblasts, cells that are critical in the creation and strengthening of bone.
How does lactoferrin benefit newborns?
Research shows that lactoferrin has an immunotropic effect on newborns. It helps stimulate both local and systemic immune responses in babies and promotes the absorption of nutrients, including metal ions such as iron, manganese, and zinc. Additionally, lactoferrin helps foster the proliferation of gut endothelial cells and gut-associated lymphatic follicles; manage the proper composition of gut flora; inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria; and promote the growth and colonization of beneficial bacteria.
Why Should People Consider Colostrum-LD®?
Colostrum-LD™ is the only colostrum supplement that is certified to contain a minimum of 1.5 percent lactoferrin. It also includes immunoglobulins, growth factors, and proline-rich polypeptides (PRPs) to help stimulate muscle mass and growth, heal and prevent leaky gut syndrome (LGS), slow down the aging process, and much more. In fact, Colostrum-LD™ is the only substance that has been clinically proven to heal and stop LGS, a leading cause of chronic disease.
Other benefits of Colostrum-LD™ include:
- Liposomal Delivery (LD) System: Colostrum-LD™ uses a proprietary LD system that allows colostrum to dissolve in liquids, and bypass digestion, and reach tissues and organs at the cellular level for optimal results.The LD system guarantees Colostrum-LD® has an applied coating that allows the product to readily dissolve in liquids and makes it more bioavailable than other colostrum products. This means the colostrum in Colostrum-LD® will circulate throughout the body, reach various organs and cells, and remain bioavailable for an extended period of time.
- Safe, Effective Supplement: Colostrum-LD™ is non-allergenic and has no side effects. The supplement can be consumed in any quantity and is safe for adults, children, and pets. Also, Sovereign Laboratories obtains its colostrum from pasture-fed Grade A dairy cows that are certified to be healthy. Sovereign Laboratories only accepts colostrum after a cow’s first milking and ensures all colostrum is antibiotic-, hormone, and pesticide-free for unmatched quality.
- Helps Combat and Eliminate Infectious Diseases: Colostrum-LD® is clinically proven to perform against even the most virulent viruses. It has been shown to be more than three times as effective as vaccines against daytime cold flu5. Plus, Colostrum-LD® helps prevent all types of infection in the body, mobilize macrophages, and supercharge natural killer (NK) cell activity.
- Balances and Improves the Immune Function: Colostrum-LD® contains powerful, natural immune-modulating components that assist in balancing immune response associated with autoimmune conditions, such as allergies, asthma, arthritis, and diabetes.. It helps bring the body back into balance if it suffers an improper immune response due to autoimmune conditions or allergies. Its ability to both activate and modulate the immune response allows Colostrum-LD® to either temper an overactive immune system or boost an underactive one.
- Reduces Inflammatory Response: Colostrum-LD® contains cytokines that help reduce the inflammatory response and powers the signaling process that soothes activation of serotonin to help eliminate pain and shock.
- Drives Growth and Regeneration of Bodily Systems: Colostrum-LD® helps stimulate bone, brain, muscle, nervous tissue, and skin regeneration. As a result, it represents a viable product for athletes, seniors, and children who want to increase lean muscle tone and enjoy a more radiant appearance than ever before.
- Accelerates and Enhances a Diet and Exercise Program: When combined with regular exercise, Colostrum-LD® helps individuals burn fat, build and retain muscle, speed up the metabolism, and stop burning muscle tissue between meals. The product balances blood sugar levels between meals to enhance an individual’s energy and vitality and improve brain chemical balance, thereby reducing mood swings and cravings.
- Supports Newborn Growth and Development: Colostrum-LD® helps bolster brain development and bone and muscle strength in newborns. It is ideal for newborns who have not breast fed long enough, have food or other allergies, or have improper immune responses and helps reduce a newborn’s risk of infections and autoimmune conditions. Colostrum-LD® even comes in a soluble powder that can be added to infant formulas or mixed into foods to promote immune and growth processes.
Adults who want to maintain a healthy immune system and prevent LGS should take two capsules (or 1 teaspoon powder) of Colostrum-LD® twice daily. For anyone who is dealing with a compromised health situation, four capsules (2 teaspoons powder) of Colostrum-LD® twice a day is recommended. And for athletic use and anti-aging benefits, 10 to 20 grams of Colostrum-LD® daily (4-6 teaspoons powder) helps an individual optimize his or her natural growth hormone levels.
Clearly, Colostrum-LD® is a colostrum product unlike any other on the market today. It contains lactoferrin is a powerful protein that offers a number of immune and digestive benefits, as well as many other GI- and immune-boosting natural components. Perhaps most important, Colostrum-LD® is the only colostrum proven in clinical trials for GI, immune, and athletic performance, which helps ensure superior results.
For those who want to include lactoferrin and other powerful natural components in their diet, Colostrum-LD® is ideal. The product is safe for people of all ages and easy to incorporate into a diet.
Tung YT, et al. Bovine lactoferrin inhibits lung cancer growth through suppression of both inflammation and expression of vascular endothelial growth factor. Journal of Dairy Science 2013;96(4):2095-106.
Okazaki Y, et al. Bovine lactoferrin ameliorates ferric nitrilotriacetate-induced renal oxidative damage in rats. Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition 2012;51(2):84-90.
Pammi M, Abrams SA. Oral lactoferrin for the prevention of sepsis and necrotizing enterocolitis in preterm infants. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2011;(10):CD007137.
Zimecki M, Kruzel ML. Milk-derived proteins and peptides of potential therapeutic and nutritive value. Journal of Experimental Therapeutics & Oncology 2007;6(2):89-106.